Monday, April 8, 2019

NaPoWriMo Day 8: "Take My Advice"

Today's poem is another mashup, although a pretty loose one.

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt:  "I’d like to challenge you to think about the argot of a particular job or profession, and see how you can incorporate it into a metaphor that governs or drives your poem."

Today's PAD Challenge prompt: "Write a lucky number poem."

I was coming up blank for professional argot I knew and felt entitled to use or interested in making the basis for a poem. A poem about academic lingo seemed pretty awful, but then I thought of a particular bit of slang that I characteristically use in professional contexts, and always take pleasure in.

The resulting poem feels like the weirdest thing I've ever written. I don't take it very seriously, but I had fun writing it and it was feels like a good exercise at letting myself get loose. I'm pretty damn proud of that colon image, anyway.

For the record, my lucky number is 72, for no meaningful reason at all. I chose it as a favorite number when I was a child and it stuck.

Take My Advice

And sex up the title.
That’s what I tell students
and colleagues too.
I’ve been in the game a while,
I know these things;
trust me on this one.

First you need one at all, of course.
The undergrads send essays
off into the world like orphans
without so much as a name.
Or perhaps with merely
a phrase that darts by
like an unidentified fish,
or the name of what they’ve written on,
a monster wrapped in another’s skin.
Or with a drab description,
say, “Scene Analysis Essay,”
sadly trudging from the workhouse
to the assembly line
with a host of others
wearing washed-out uniforms.

My colleagues write titles,
but they're sallow sometimes,
workaday and gray
as the faces of people
who have sat for decades
in committee meetings,
drinking bad coffee and fake creamer
under fluorescent lights,
crafting elaborate plans
that will get scrapped the next year.

Sex it up, verily I say unto you.
Let your essay be a bird
in brilliant mating plumage.
Let it lock eyes with the reader
luring them with its confident smirk.
Let it declare itself
and boldly ask, How you doin’?
Let your title shimmy
onto the dance floor
or whirl around the pole
shaking the headlamps
of its tasseled colon.
Let it thrust its hip.

Let it belly up
to the table of argument
like a gambler, mouth wet
with anticipation,
stroking the rabbit’s foot
hidden in its pants,
sure that today, today, today
its lucky number will strike.

Image result for tasseled nipples


            



No comments:

Post a Comment