Thursday, June 14, 2018

"Bones," a poem from Newport

I hope more than one piece of writing will come out of my trip to Rhode Island, but something was definitely stirring about my attempt to stand near Mary (and William) Dyer's grave site, which I wrote about in my previous post.

Here's what I drafted last night. I like it, or at least it captures exactly what I was thinking at the time and throughout the trip, the meditation on past and present I was so caught up in. Somehow, so far at least, I needed to mark clearly thoughts I was having in that place as distinct from lines of the poem as I am writing it afterwards -- that these were in fact thoughts, not lines of poetry. We'll see.

Bones

Newport, 2018

I think, the past is a locked gate:
a rusty fence surrounds the derelict
brick boxes of the Naval Hospital.
Underneath its grassy grounds, or the blacktop
beneath my feet on ordinary Cypress Street
lie the bones of Mary Dyer, martyr.
A block away, unpaved Dyre’s Gate Road
leads to a puddle, a lost child’s bike,
a path between tall rushes, railroad tracks.

I think, time itself is violence:
a grave-spot locals once showed travelers
erased now, their knowing unknown.
At water’s edge I try to view this round
collar of shoreline with its island shelter
as it met her eyes, unseeing
four centuries of human clutter.
Your own death is the least of it;
nothing you loved will last.

This flat sheen to the horizon. This sound
of small waves shushing on the beach:
how many billion, uninterrupted, each
break like a rung on a ladder you could climb
back to a day she stood here living?
I breathe and center. Sun on my hands.
Loss and loss, everything vanishing
but the innocence of ground, wind, water;
and here we are now, licking our salty lips.

Here is the sight that triggered the thought "the past is a locked gate":



Here is a partial view of where Cypress Street dead-ends at the shoreline.


A view of the Naval Hospital found on Pinterest -- this is where the Dyer farm is likely to have stood. Most of the buildings are abandoned, though there are newer active ones to the north. The end of Cypress Street is at the far left. The search for an image led to my learning that (predictably enough) it is believed to be haunted -- though not necessarily by any Dyers.





2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great poem, Anne. I'm fascinated by all the details of the photos and your descriptions, both in the poem and in your blog post. Gotta talk to you and hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! Just saw this, I didn't get an email notification. Yes so eager to catch up. Maybe tonight? I have a workshop in IC tomorrow to Sunday.

      Delete